Monday, March 9, 2009

Arlo Guthrie



One of my all time favorite artists is Arlo Guthrie. I have seen him a number of times in concert and I am never let down. He is amazing! Just for a little background Arlo Guthrie is the son of Woody Guthrie. Woody was a folk singer and composer. Some of you may know his song...This Land is Your Land. Arlo Guthrie carried on the tradition of great folk music. Some of you may have heard of the song Alice's Restaurant. It is a talking blues song that lasts 18 minutes and if you have not heard it you must! Alice's Restaurant was also made into a movie in 1969. His daughter Sarah Lee Guthrie is another great folk singer. It must run in the family. We have seen her play a few different times and never leave without a smile. Now, why pray tell am I telling you this?? I get to see Arlo Guthrie at Kingsbury Hall on March 29, 2009! Not only do I get to see a great folk artist in a wonderful venue, but he will be playing music from his new album. I browsed You Tube for an Arlo Guthrie clip so you can hear a taste of his music. I did find one of Alice's Restaurant but it is really long. So if you do want to hear it you can find it on You Tube. I picked The City of New Orleans. Arlo did not write this song, but it a good one and one he is very famous for performing.

*apology, you will have to pause the music at the bottom in order to hear the video*

1 comments:

e said...

I really like Arlo too! I didn't know he had a daughter who was a singer -- I'm totally going to look her up. Have a blast at the concert! Sounds really fun :)