Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Years and an Apostolic Blessing

I really need to get back on the ball. I am only now getting to posting about New Years. For New Years Eve we celebrated with Mom, Dad, Dennis, Myself, Lisa, and Bryan. The grandkids were here to but they went to bed about 7 pm so they don't count. We decided to play Phase 10. This game has a special place in our heart. We played it just about every night when we went to Cancun in June of 2006. After Cancun Lisa affectionately called it "Skip Lisa." So it was really fun to play it together as a family again.



While we were playing cards we put on the cable oldies music channel. The challenge was to try to guess either the artist or the song name. Let's just say that Lisa was a fierce competitor, but I won that game. Mom was the all out winner of Phase 10 though. Good job Mom! I asked Lisa to take a picture with me and this is the hairstyle she decided to go with.



At 11:50 we woke my dad up and poured the sparkling cider. You have to toast the new year with something bubbly. Since we don't drink champagne, Apple Cider was the next logical choice.



It was so nice to ring in the new year with some of the people I love most.



The Sunday after New Years was fast Sunday. I hadn't been feeling well and went in to church feeling tired and overall less than thrilled to be there. I sat down and looked on the stand. Sitting there was none other than Elder Jeffrey R. Holland.



His daughter lives in our ward and he and his wife were babysitting for the weekend. What an honor to have an apostle in our presence and the spirit was definitely felt there. I think it was one of the most spiritual fast and testimony meetings I have ever been to. After everyone had a chance to bear their testimony he got up and spoke to us. It was amazing! He concluded with an apostolic blessing for us for the new year. It really was the best way to start the new year. I could not have asked for more. So here's to a great 2009!

4 comments:

e said...

1. How AWESOME about Elder Holland coming to your sacrament meeting! The bishop of my old family ward was Elder Oak's son and he came to our sacrament meeting once -- it's so neat to have an apostle there -- once in a lifetime opportunity :)

2. Dennis is still sporting the Brigham beard, eh? You lucky duck, you, wink wink.

Lisa said...

I feel so honored to be in the same blog post as Elder Holland. He's so great! He's doing the devotional at BYU tomorrow--I really want to go.

Lisa said...

I hope you're writing a new post right this second!

CaraDee said...

That's so cool!