Friday, April 24, 2009

If you hide from the missionaries did you purchase a first class ticket to Hell?

We moved to Florida in 2006 for work and a change of scenery. We both worked in the hospitality industry and Orlando seemed a logical place. When you move far away from family and friends you find out quickly that you really are alone. Dennis went to the grocery store one day and ran into the LDS missionaries. He was excited because it was something familiar and began talking to them. After giving them our address he gathered his things and left. Now, if a "less active" member gives the missionaries their address...what do you suppose they will do??? They come over! At the time neither Dennis or I were interested in hearing their message. So after that when they came over, we would literally hide in the closet or a back bedroom. How pathetic is that?!? It wasn't like they could see through the door, or that we were obligated to answer the door and let them in. Looking back I think it was because we knew they were there to tell us something we needed to hear. And for the record after getting to know the missionaries they informed us that they know when you are hiding from them. Maybe it was the lights being on or the TV. We were not the first and certainly will not be the last. Months went by and at least once a week we would come home to a note on the door or a pass-along card from the missionaries. A short time after that something happened and we decided we were ready to at least hear what they had to say. So we invited them over and took the discussions, just like a new member would. We set up appointments and the missionaries started coming over once a week. We usually had them over for dinner and then we would have a lesson. They invited us to church so we went. Well, technically we went for sacrament meeting then made an excuse that we had to leave. The ward was awesome and after a few weeks of going we decided to stay for other classes. It was an amazing experience. Our ward was incredible at making you feel welcome. I even attended activites which were my biggest fear. Dennis starting visiting people with the missionaries, which was a great experience and testimony builder. During those six months we built relationships with some amazing people. Even though we were only active for a few months before we moved we encountered a ward split. This was a huge challenge. We had relationships with our ward members and now we were being asked to move to a different ward. Although that ward was amazing I always feel a stronger bond with those whom we met in the Metrowest Ward. Recently, I was talking to my family about finding our missionaries. They made a huge impact on our life and I just wanted to thank them for everything they did for us. So naturally, I turned to Facebook. And through a few searches I was able to find Elder Bonnett. And from looking through his friends I was able to find Elder Unga. I sent them messages and they are both home and doing so well. They live locally and we are planning on getting together soon. Hopefully Elder Unga will not mind me stealing this picture from his Facebook. I just wanted to show you our missionaries. This picture was taken in the community where we lived called Metrowest. So from Left to Right is: Elder Olson (New York), Elder Hamilton (Arizona), Elder Unga (Utah), Elder Bonnett (Utah)

11 comments:

Jeanna GT said...

that is the craziest, awesome-est story ever... to be continued............

Stephanie said...

My Grandpa would do simillar things. He would leave while they were there and see who wanted to go out for ice cream. Finally at age 84 he was baptized.

CaraDee said...

That's funny. Love that story.

e said...

I love it! Thanks for sharing your story of conversion with all of us. It was funny, interesting, spiritual, and you are a great story teller. Love you.

Annalee said...

I remember when all of this happened, it was when we first got back in touch with eachother. It was awesome to be with you through all of that! :)

Love you!!

The Avery Family said...

Over the years I have thought about you so much and wondering if you were happy. I cannot tell you how glad I am to hear this story. You are such a strong willed, awesome person!

Chad said...

Great story. I wonder if the Elder Unga is related to another couple of Unga's on the BYU football team. If so, awesome!

Emily said...

Pretty sure you're going to hell.

Just kidding! That's awesome, that happenned right when I cut your hair that Christmas, I think?? Cool story. Thank heavens for 19 year old men who sacrifice 2 years. They bless so many lives!!

Stacey said...

I wanted to know about your conversion and I'm glad you posted this!

Katheryn Snyder said...

I'm so glad that I met you and glad that you have the blessings of the gospel in your life! You are an amazing person and I just love ya! Thank you for sharing your sweet story and thank you for deciding to go to church so I could meet you! I miss you, but I'm glad I can keep in touch with you!

Natalie said...

What a great story Amanda - thanks for sharing it. The gospel really is for everyone and is what brings us peace. That's neat that Dennis was prompted to give the Elders your address. Great story!